These beauties were so incredibly delicious & easy that I decided to share the recipe in a quick post // They cost me $2.14 a ‘pizza’- a little pricier than most meals, but definitely worth it // Ready to eat in 20 minutes: prepping took less than 5 and cooking took 16 // As an fyi, most tomato-based sauces are gluten free, but be aware some do contain dairy. These pizzas can be made with dairy mozzarella cheese or can be vegan with a mozzarella style vegan cheese //
Recipe:: Ingredients and What you need
- 1 portobello mushroom ( 1, 5-6 inch diameter shroom or 2-3 smaller ones)
- 1/2 cup pizza or marinara (I used a spaghetti/marinara sauce-just know will have a higher water concentration than pizza sauce)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese or vegan style mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan to sprinkle
- Olive oil
- Dried or fresh oregano and parsley to sprinkle
- Garlic salt to taste or actual garlic and salt (I ran out of fresh garlic!)
- Foil and baking sheet
Prep:: less than 5 minutes, Cook:: 16-18 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400* F
- Wash mushroom (I don’t usually rinse under water, I use a paper towel then gently wipe clean- I need a mushroom brush!) I left the stem on.
- Arrange foil around mushroom and create a saucer/boat barrier so there isn’t a mess created on the pan during cooking
- With the stem side facing up, Drizzle mushroom with olive oil and then using the measuring cup or spoon, sauce the marinara into the cap. Top with cheeses.
- Place boats on a cooking/baking sheet. Cook on the middle rack for about 15 minutes. (Remember oven times often vary.)
- Move caps to top rack. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until a golden cheese is achieved! (fYI: Many pans max out their temp at 450 and broiling is 500. So if you aren’t sure of your pan’s max temp, just carefully place the caps with the foil boats on the top rack like I did, or keep them on the middle rack sans pan still and broil for longer until you see the golden cheese!)
- Bon appetite!
Pair with Pasta, Rice, Salad, Cooked Veggies, etc.- whatever you’d like!
Happy, healthful eating!
– the mrs.